Intelligent CIO North America Issue 24 | Page 83

The Veeam 2022 Ransomware Trends Report reveals the results of an independent research firm that surveyed 1,000 IT leaders whose organizations had been successfully attacked by ransomware at least once during the past 12 months , making it one of the largest reports of its kind .
The first of its kind study examines the key lessons from these incidents , their impact on IT environments and the steps taken to implement Modern Data Protection strategies that ensure Business Continuity moving forward . The research project specifically surveyed four IT personas ( CISOs , security professionals , backup administrators and IT operations ) to understand cyberpreparedness alignment across organizations .
Paying the ransom is not a recovery strategy
Of the organizations surveyed , the majority ( 76 %) of cyber-victims paid the ransom to end an attack and recover data . Unfortunately , while 52 % paid the ransom and were able to recover data , 24 % paid the ransom but were still not able to recover data – resulting in a one out of three chance that paying the ransom still leads to no data . It is notable that 19 % of organizations did not pay the ransom because they were able to recover their own data . This is what the remaining 81 % of cyber-victims must aspire to – recovering data without paying the ransom .
“ One of the hallmarks of a strong Modern Data Protection strategy is a commitment to a clear policy
Almost all attackers attempted to destroy backup repositories to disable the victim ’ s ability to recover without paying the ransom .
www . intelligentcio . com INTELLIGENTCIO NORTH AMERICA 83